While most of you were watching football or spending time with your family this past weekend, I was cleaning out my closet and reorganizing. Every season, I have to switch out my clothes. This is a good time for me to get rid of the items that are worn out or I just don’t wear anymore. It also helps me see what I do have that I have forgotten about.
It really takes me a day to do this because I like to take my time. Then I know when I start shopping what I need and what I don’t need. If you are anything like me, we tend to buy the same things over and over. I am a fanatic about jeans. I can’t tell you how many pairs of jeans I own. It seems I am always looking for that perfect jean. Then I wear that same jean over and over and my other jeans just sit in my closet.
What about white shirts? Really, how many white t-shirts and dress shirts do you need? Apparently, I need a lot. The thing about white shirts is I do wear them a lot because I can wear them so many ways. But when they get worn out I have to get rid of them, even if it is my favorite. A worn out white shirt just doesn’t look good.
Here is my process when I clean out my closet:
- Look through my closet and see what I haven’t worn or is out of season.
- If it is out of season, and I still like it, I put it in my closet where I keep the out of season clothes. If I decide I don’t like it anymore then I either put it in my consignment pile or my donation pile.
- Go through my clothes that are in the out of season closet and decide if I still like it and if it still fits. I also look to see if there are any repairs or alterations that need to be made.
- Once I have determined everything I am keeping I organize by type of clothing and color.
- By the time I am finished, I have touched every piece of clothing and have a better idea of what I have.
Every time I reorganize my closet, I feel so much better. I am able to see all of my clothes and choose more outfit options rather than wearing the same pair of jeans every day. It also makes me more aware of what I don’t need to be spending my money on, more jeans.
I found this great article on 17 Invaluable Tips for Anybody With Too Many Clothes. It is a great way to help you clean out your closet. If you are really struggling, maybe you should get a friend to help you. Sometimes we hold onto clothes that we should just let go of and move on. If you can’t see your clothes in your closet then you probably have too many and should start the cleaning out process.
Have you cleaned out your closet lately? What is stopping you?
My robe similar here in a different color.