We just got back from an amazing trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Staying at the Four Seasons was quite a treat. I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is located right in Teton Village and has ski in ski out with a ski valet. I want to go back sometime in the summer. I hear it is even better in the summer.
Healthy eating can be really tough when you are staying in a hotel and eating out every meal. Luckily, the Four Seasons had some healthy choices in their restaurants. They also offered gentle yoga class every day which I did 3 out of the 5 days. Yoga helps me to be more mindful. When I am more mindful, I can make better choices in what I eat.
I definitely detoured from my regular eating patterns, however this time I didn’t beat myself up about it and feel guilty. Being more in tune with the way I feel before and after eating helps me to choose better. A couple of meals I overindulged and boy, did I feel it. In the long run, it just isn’t worth it to me.
Healthy Eating When You Travel
The biggest thing that helped me on this trip is intermittent fasting. Most days, I stuck with that. I didn’t eat past dinner and then I didn’t eat again until lunch. My husband was happy with that so it made it easier. A couple of mornings my husband did want to eat breakfast so I just kept it simple and ate 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, and an avocado. Then I ate lighter on my lunch.
I also didn’t have more than 1 drink most of the nights. Alcohol can derail you on healthy eating quickly.
Here are some tips I use:
- Bring healthy snacks – I usually have some RX bars, almonds, and epic bars.
- Drink lots of water – I try to do this even when I am not traveling, but I think it is even more important to stay hydrated when you are traveling.
- Pass on the bread – In a perfect world, I wouldn’t even let them put it on my table, but my husband would not be happy with that. I try not to even have one piece of bread but if I do, I try to only have one piece.
- Pick your indulgences – I try to be intentional and mindful and only indulge myself when it is really worth it to me.
- Be in tune with your body – If I feel bloated or gassy, I think about what I have eaten and I try to get back on track. One tip that I have learned to help with the with all digestion issues is to drink warm lemon water first thing in the morning. Learn more here.
Do you have any tips on eating healthy when you travel? I always love to hear from you.
This outfit came along with me on my trip: The vest is from Gus Mayer last year. You can shop my look here: