Whether you are traveling by car, plane, bus or train these ten tips on staying healthy while traveling will help you.
Healthy Traveling Tips
Traveling can be stressful. It helps to plan ahead so that you can at least eliminate some of the stressors.
- Inhale/Exhale – Remember to breathe. We think this is a given but when we get stressed we tend to hold our breath. If you find yourself in a difficult situation (traffic, flight delays, a family member gets on your nerves) take 5 deep breaths. Release the stress. Even better, check out this app and do a short meditation. You will feel so much better.
- Stay on track with your exercise – Before you go, figure out how, where, and when you will be able to fit exercise into your day. Even if it is 10 minutes, you will feel better about yourself and you will have more energy. If you are in FASTer Way to Fat Loss with me, use the quick and efficient workouts to stay on track. Another favorite thing I like to take with me is a jump rope. You can use this anywhere!
- Don’t overindulge – When we are traveling we can make bad choices and overindulge in things we might be able to avoid if we were at home. Be deliberate and only indulge in the things you love. Then be smart about it and take only a few bites. Remember the first bites are always the best. If you do overindulge – Forgive yourself and get back on track. Every day is a new day and a new opportunity. Don’t wait until January 1st.
- Pack healthy snacks – This will help you from overindulging when you get hungry. Check out my post here for Quick Healthy Snacks On The Go.
- Try intermittent fasting. You can grab my free guide to intermittent fasting here. You might even want to extend your eating window while you are traveling.
- Drink lots of water – You should be doing this anyway. Your body depends on water to survive. Here is why it is so important. I carry my favorite water bottle with me wherever I go.
- Watch your alcohol intake – Not only does alcohol have empty calories, but it can also cause behavior that could lead to problems. Check out this article on How Alcohol Affects Weightloss.
- Pace yourself – Try not to have too many things to do in one day. It can be stressful and might lead to frustration which then leads to stress which leads to elevated cortisol. Elevated cortisol can lead to increased blood sugar, weight gain, suppressed immune system, digestive problems, and heart disease. If you find yourself stressed refer back to my number 1 tip on staying healthy while traveling.
- Pack wisely – Overpacking is not a good thing. Lugging several bags along with you only complicates your travel. Check out my post on My Girlfriend Getaway To New York City and how I pack.
- Be mindful and intentional- Mindfulness is being aware of your thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and your surroundings. This is really part of tip number one too. When we are mindful of what we are doing we can be intentional about our breathing and use our deep breaths through our travels.