Holidays can be the most stressful time of the year. Did you know the average weight gain during the Holiday is 6 pounds? I want to help you stay healthy through the holidays and avoid gaining weight while enjoying them.
First of all, gaining weight doesn’t happen all in one day. It is a cumulative effect starting at Thanksgiving, the day after Thanksgiving with the leftovers and then on to the Holiday parties. And well, if you are like most people you tell yourself, “I will start fresh in the New Year.” But why not start now.
Tips To Stay Healthy And Enjoy The Holidays Without Gaining Weight
- Enjoy your meals. Yes, it is fine to eat but the key is to actually be mindful of what you are eating. Sometimes we are stressed and that is why we overeat and sometimes we eat specific food because that is what you do during the Holidays. Eat real whole plant-based foods with some protein. Stay away from processed foods or limit yourself. But enjoy your meal and don’t stress over it.
- Try Intermittent Fasting. I have a whole guide on intermittent fasting. Click here to get it.
- Limit your alcohol. Alcohol can add on the pounds just as quick as anything. We also overindulge on the wrong foods when we overindulge in the alcohol. Enjoy a glass of wine or a cocktail but limit yourself to 1 or 2 a week. My go-to has become Health-Ade Kombucha the Bubbly Rose flavor or tonic with lime.
- Drink lots of water. We need lots of water. Hydration is so important. Sometimes we confuse hunger with being thirsty. In my post 3 Actions To Take Today To Age Beautifully, I share the benefits of water.
- Get plenty of sleep. Sleep and rest are important every day. Make sure you are getting enough sleep and rest so you will have the energy to get through the Holidays. If you have trouble with sleep or don’t understand the role it plays in your health check out this podcast and this blog post.
- Move. Try to stick with your regular exercise plan. Even better is to do your workout first thing in the morning before you eat anything. If you can’t squeeze it in that day just keep moving. Take the stairs, park further away from your office or the mall. Whatever, you need to do to keep yourself moving.
Tips On How To Handle The Holiday Parties
- Don’t go hungry. Eat something healthy before you go so you won’t be hungry. This is especially important if you know there will not be healthy options.
- Bring a dish. Offer to bring your favorite “healthy” appetizer. A charcuterie board is a great option. Check out my girl, Meredith from The Southern Source on How To Make A Cheese Board That Everyone Will Love.
- Alternate alcohol and water (or sparkling soda). Enjoy a glass of wine or cocktail and then drink a glass of water. Limit yourself to 2. You will feel so much better the next day.
Will you be traveling during the Holidays? Check out this post on Healthy Eating When You Travel.
Are you looking for accountability and a sustainable lifestyle to help you feel and look your best? Join me for my next round of FASTer Way to Fat Loss.
What will you be doing to stay healthy through the Holidays?